Monday, December 8, 2014

Cultural Perspective Of Nutrition





Cultural
Perspective
          The Holy Bible tells us in
Deuteronomy 1112 that God cares for the land when HIS true born
again Christians are in possession of HIS land. 
It says that HE watches over it and waters it.  HE takes care of it when the righteous own
the land.  But not so when the wicked
possess the land.  Without a healthy
harvest the produce will not be very edible or very nutritious which is how
much of the avocadoes were that I bought in La Mesa, CA. at the first part of
this year due to the extreme drought California has been experiencing.
          The Holy Bible also says in Leviticus
254 that HIS people are to allow the land to rest on the seventh
year and that they shall not plant any crops at all for the seventh year.  It also says in Exodus 2311 again
that we are not to sow the land in the seventh year and that we are to allow
the poor of the people to come in and glean and eat of any harvest that is
produced during that seventh year. 
          Without a harvest there can be no grain, no
wine, no oil, no fruits, no vegetables, no food, no raiment made from cotton,
no biofuel for our vehicles.  So harvest
is important.  Everything should be done
to the Glory of God according to 1 Corinthians 1031 and that would
include eating, drinking, planting, growing, sowing, reaping or whatever we do
it is to be to the Glory of God.  When we
eat God’s way the food will bring our bodies the nutrition it needs to be
healthy and well.
          In today’s society we see people going
through drive thru fast food establishments because they have no time to sit
down at a dinner table with the family. 
Jim Burns of www.homeword.com and www.cbn.com says that dinner time together with the
whole family around a dinner table is very important to provide bonding, keep
children out of trouble, to resolve conflicts, to establish security and much
more.  When the family comes together at
the dinner table it is easier to have a prayer of thanks giving to glorify God
for the family meal.  I can’t imagine how
a family could pray and enjoy fellowship over a meal in the back seat of a SUV
or a car driving down the highway.  And in
many ways our culture lives like gluttons, eaters of flesh and many even
partake of alcoholic beverages like the winebibbers mentioned in Proverbs 2320-21
          Many times I do not sit down at a
dinner table to eat but I will also eat on the run in front of my computer or
in front of the television.  My son never
forgets to say grace over his food.  I
only wish I remembered as well as he does. 
Many times I am guilty of waiting too long and too late to eat so I just
grab whatever is available usually like some pumpkin seeds with a side of a
cooked potato or a boiled egg.  And
sometimes I just do a protein shake.  But
during holidays I prepare entire meals and I sit down and enjoy the entire meal
with prayer like it tells us to enjoy our food in Ecclesiastes 518-20.
          I can recall back about twenty five
years ago when I lived like Solomon warns us not to in Proverbs 2320-21 and
I was eating flesh of barbequed chicken on a weekly basis and drinking beer
like a winebibber.  I am so glad God
delivered me from that unhealthy and dangerously sinful lifestyle!   
          My eating habits today are much
healthier and much more God fearing.  I
don’t eat much meat at all and I don’t drink any alcohol either.  Usually around the holidays is when I begin
to add meat to my diet.   Otherwise, I
tend to eat seeds, nuts, vegetables, grains, fruits and oils as my main
diet. 
Citation:


1.     
Deuteronomy 11:12.  Holy Bible, King James Version. Nashville,
Tennessee: Holman Bible Publishers; 2000.
2.     
Leviticus 25:4.  Holy Bible, King James Version. Nashville,
Tennessee: Holman Bible Publishers; 2000.
3.      Exodus
23:11.  
Holy Bible, King James Version. Nashville, Tennessee:
Holman Bible Publishers; 2000.
4.      1 Corinthians 10:31.  Holy Bible, King James Version. Nashville,
Tennessee: Holman Bible Publishers; 2000.
5.      Proverbs 23:20-21.  Holy Bible, King James Version. Nashville,
Tennessee: Holman Bible Publishers; 2000.
6.     
Jim
Burns,  Family Togetherness,  Dinnertime Should Be Family Time www.homeword.com www.cbn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment